Saturday, February 12, 2011

First impressions of Puerto Rico

My first impressions of Puerto Rico were not favorable.  After enjoying the cheap prices in the Dominican Republic it was a bit of a shock to return to American prices.  Additionally, the beer here, we discovered to our dismay, comes standard in 10 oz cans, a tough adjustment after the 20 oz bottles of the Dominican Republic.

The Trade winds blow here, unabated and unhindered, and the strategy recommend to us by our cruising guide was to make little 2-5 hour hops, darting from harbor to harbor along the coast in the wee hours of the morning, when conditions were at their calmest.

From Boqueron to La Paguera to Ponce, the the second largest city on the island.  From here, I'd made plans to fly to Colorado to visit my girlfriend for a week.  The cheapest flights to the states were out of San Juan, on the north coast, only an hour and a half by car from Ponce, located on the south coast.  When I booked the flight, I'd foolishly assumed there would be some kind of public transportation between the two largest cities in the country.  There isn't.  I'm still a little angry at Puerto Rico for that.  I had to take a taxi from Ponce to the airport in San Juan for $120.

While I was away snowshoeing in Breckenridge, the crew moved the boat on down the coast to Salinas without me.  I'll admit this made me a little nervous but, they had almost as good a time without me as I had without them.  They got to Salinas without mishap, rented a car, spent two days in San Juan sightseeing and then picked me up from the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment